Monday, October 22, 2007

One Good Turn - The Temptation of Evil

Interesting thing happened at the gym the other day... and NO, I don't mean the fact that I was there. I found someone had forgotten a personal item after using a piece of equipment. It had been minutes since I'd seen anyone on that device so I picked it up.

Turned out to be an iPod, a little old, but one of the large video iPods. My first thought was to turn it in to the main desk. Then something inside me said keep it. Keeping it felt wrong, and not just because I already have an iPod (in fact I have two, a Nano and Shuffle), and not because I thought I was going to be found out. Something inside me said that if the tables were reversed, I would want someone to turn it in. I know it's not likely to happen (my sister-in-law lost a camera at the National Museum and no one there bothered to turn it in) but I don't want to live my live based on the philosophy of "that's what some people would do"... well guess what, some people eat other people, doesn't mean it's something I want to try.

Call it Christian upbring, call it karma, but in the end I had to turn in the lost item. It was the right thing to do; it was the right thing for me to do.

No comments: